Sometimes we are guilty of placing limits on ourselves. “I cannot do this”, This will be too hard”, “This will never work”. If we continue to use this kind of thinking and speaking, we could get ourselves into a rut. One of the ways I think can help with this limited life is to live in the present moment. When we are mindful, there are no limits. The sky is literally the limit because we are not comparing anything to the past or to the future, we are just in the now.
Practicing mindfulness is not that easy however – here is an easy meditation to practice.
• Sit still in a comfortable position with your eyes open and fixed about 5 feet in front of you with your gaze down to the floor.
• Focus on your breath coming and going.
• Notice the sights, sounds and smells around you, but come back to your breath.
• Practice this for about 5 minutes every day and as it gets easier, add 1 minute per day.
Other ways to introduce mindfulness into your life…
• Pay attention to what you’re doing as you’re doing it.
• Practice eating meals in silence and chewing each bite for 25 – 40 times, really paying attention to each flavor of the food you are eating.
• When you are driving, do so without the radio or cell phone and notice the route you are taking and maybe even take a different route to make the drive more interesting instead of routine.
• Put less on your “To do” list so you can enjoy what you are doing.
• When you are with others, put away the electronics and “Be” with that person, in the present moment.
• Practice the mindful meditation above for at least 5 minutes each day.
So the next time you think you have limits on your life, bring yourself to the present and realize you really have a limitless life, you just need to practice how to live it.